Thursday, July 22, 2010

Trip Downtown (part 2)

First thing we did when we got to DC was head to the Washington Monument to see if any tickets were still available. For the record, I've been trying to get there since my first visit back in 2000 when it was closed for renovation. I tried again when I visited in 2001, still closed. Then again at each subsequent visit downtown, but there were never tickets available by the time I got there.

So hallelujah and hurray, there were tickets, but the first available time was 1:30. We went for it.

I have to say, this was the highlight of our trip. SO cool. The views are amazing, and I learned all kinds of interesting and funny tidbits. And I took a picture of every direction for your viewing pleasure.


First of all, London and I counted the flags around the monument. Exactly 50. And the monument is 555 feet tall. The viewing deck is at 500 ft.


Also, the elevator was first installed in 1874. It took 20 minutes for the elevator to get to the top. However, it was deemed unsafe for women and children, so they made them walk the 900 steps while the men rode the elevator eating cheese and drinking wine. Uh huh. Nice. Their chivalry astounds me.



Unfortunately, the stairs where closed to the public in 1979. We only got to look at them from behind a locked gate.

 
Also, you can see the advancement of technology with the building. The first two hundred feet of the building (or so) they had to hand cut the limestone. But they were able to finish the last 335 (or so) feet with machine cut stone. You can see a definitive line where the style of cutting changes. (Okay, this is an old picture, but you can see the line if you look close.)


On the inside, they allowed different groups to purchase stones that were engraved with their names (or the association's name). There is one red stone that came from Egypt (though I can't remember the group, and I don't believe you can see it from the outside . . . only the inside).


This display is on the floor below the viewing level. Washington was so cool.


For your benefit, I took a picture up into the point of the monument. While it may look like Rick is about to fall off the edge or something, he isn't. I promise.


I highly recommend a visit to this site to anyone who comes. Very cool.

1 comment:

  1. How cool is that. I want to go there when I come visit. By the way, congratulations on the move to a bigger house and an entire night of sleep for Khyah. She has gotten so big and I love her cuteness. :) I need to mail you her birthday present. I will be in the typical Tiffany fashion, a few months late. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete