Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Trip Downtown (part 1)

One of the things I love about living here is that it's so easy to head downtown and enjoy our nation's history. On Wednesday, it was rainy, giving us a small break in the wretched heat we get here, so we profited. Rick had the night shift, so he was able to come with us to see a couple of museum's and the Washington Monument (that'll be part 2).

Khyah was so excited to be going on a family outing.



And of course, you can't take someone's picture and NOT take Brandt's so here he is, too. :)


We stopped in front of the Hirshorn museum, but try as I might, I couldn't get the kids to pose for a decent picture. It was raining, and then the wind changed directing the fountain at us as well, so I gave up.




Next, we stopped at the Aerospace museum. London told me he LOVED this picture, and was hesitant to let me share it because he wanted to keep it, but I convinced him we could do both.


The boys were in heaven with all the planes and rockets and such. London wanted a tour so he could hear all about it (though he changed his mind when he heard how long it was), and Brandt absolutely had to visit this airplane.



(Sorry for the glare, but I'm not the best picture taker.) So once London determined the tour was too long, he wanted to see the first airplanes. Here they are learning about the models Orville and Wilbur Wright made before building the real deal.


And here is the real (authentically replicated) deal (you have to look past the little sweetie up front). Khyah was pleased as punch to get out of the stroller.


And just to prove I was there . . . but once we let Khyah out, this was my job: baby-wrangling.


I had originally planned to leave by noon, so I didn't pack a lunch. Luckily, McDonald's has infiltrated the government and has taken over the Smithsonian cafeterias. I would have preferred this outdoor one, but we ate at the indoor McDonald's instead. They charge almost double their normal prices, except the whole supersizing deal which is still 59 cents. We got 2 meals and supersized both, so I felt proud of "cheating" the system (although who cheated who I leave up for debate).


While I moved the car, Rick took the kids to the Natural History Museum. Rick didn't take any pictures though. But they saw the same exhibits we saw last time (the Forensics exhibit, and the mummy). Of course, Rick was at work when London woke up in the middle of the night screaming: "Mommy! Daddy! I need you NOW!"

Yup, he was having nightmares about mummies. Fun times.

1 comment:

  1. you DO live in an awesome place!!

    and i was laughing about the mcdonalds infiltration. i always resent when people say 'all americans eat is hamburgers, hotdogs and pizza', i'm all NO WE DONT!

    and then i go to baseball games, amusement parks (and now the museums!!) and...I see what they're sayin.

    ReplyDelete