Friday, October 28, 2011

Switzerland

A day late, and a dollar short on this post, but the pictures are too gorgeous not to share.

After my mission companion's civil wedding in France, we drove in a 3-car caravan to the Bern (Zollikofen) Switzerland Temple for the sealing. Kim and I were in separate cars when we crossed the border, but both of us felt it. It was a rush. An overwhelming feeling of coming home. And it was all I could do to keep my eyes on the road and off the beautiful scenery that surrounded us. (For anyone who may not know, my siblings and I are a quarter Swiss German.)

Okay, one last commentary before the pictures . . .  having grown up in Utah, I have always loved the mountains. I have missed them terribly since moving away. So I thought I knew mountains. But wow. Utah mountains don't compare in the least to Switzerland's mountains. Breathtaking. Powerful. Beautiful. Mysterious. Commanding. And none of those words really captures it. I hope you all get a chance to go to Switzerland one day.

Here I am at the temple:


Kim is next to a lake we passed. This picture doesn't capture the amazing green-blue of the water, or the brilliant green of the hills.

Here is Kim, sitting on our hotel balcony. What a view, eh?


Okay, we might have had a little fun . . .




Maybe just a little.

And here's the view looking back down of the city of Lauterbrunen.

The Church you see behind us was featured in countless post cards, so we thought we should get a picture. This is actually where we parked our car before taking the tram.


And here it is again. I can't express enough how GREEN everything was. Just gorgeous.


This is the view we had as we walked down the mountain. I seriously wished I could live there.


And the view looking upwards. Seriously, the mountain had a soul, and you could feel it seeping out of everything.


Another view from further up.


I have so many more pictures I would love to share with you all, but I'll save it for another post. This time, I just wanted you to feel the grandeur of it all. But I'll work on culture next time (assuming I get that far). :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing scenic pictures Janet! I think I might need to go there someday :) Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love what you said about the mountains.

    I've never been, but it is so true, and is totally visible from the photos. What a magnificently beautiful place!

    (and congrats to your mission companion!)

    ReplyDelete