Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Tree Hunt!

This year we decided to start a tradition of going to a Christmas tree farm where we could cut our own tree down. Overall, I'd definitely call it a success. It took an hour of driving to arrive here:

The kids were all excited to find the perfect tree.

Khyah found the tree just her size, but I'm afraid we all vetoed it.

After about an hour of searching, we all agreed on this tree. (At first, Brandt refused, but Rick adroitly convinced him that this was the tree he chose earlier. Brandt agreed on the condition that he got to saw first---note London's sour expression.)

So here he is, working hard with Daddy.

Then London got a turn.

And voila! We successfully cut down our future Christmas tree.

Rick even managed to tie it to the top of the car, and we didn't lose it on the way home. :)

The end got a little rough with the cold and hunger setting in. And London, I think, expressed our frustration best.

But hurray! We have a tree, and it's perfect, just like we planned.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! Picking out a tree an then getting to cut it down and take it home :) We haven't had a real tree since I've been married. I think maybe next year, we'll have to do it. I just LOVE the smell of a real tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We typically cut our tree down on private property up in Idaho (with permission of course), but last year we didn't make it up there for our usual Thanksgiving trip. I must say, it was a lot less work having a fake tree up. However, real is still preferred I guess, for some reason.

    This year, the snow set in early, so we got to take a hayride pulled by tractor to get the tree. That was extra fun for the kids. Maybe that's why real is preferred, because getting the tree is so fun. I'm sure as the kids get older, though, it will be harder to get agreement on which tree to cut down.

    One thing is for certain. I will never pay for a tree off a lot again. If we can't go get a tree in the forest, I'm perfectly happy with the fake tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tradition! Gotta love the sneakiness required to be a parent, huh!?! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh, i love this tradition. we did it in my family growing up. But I have yet to take me kids to cut down a "real" tree!

    so fun...but WORK right? :)

    ReplyDelete